For women in a phase of pregnancy, one thing which mainly scares them is the sign of swelling on legs. These are mostly observed on your feet and ankles of legs and occasionally may also be found on the hands and face. Swelling in legs is a normal phenomenon during your pregnancy period of nine months, and nearly 75% of women face this issue.
Below, you will get to know how to control swelling of legs during pregnancy:
Table of Contents
- 1 Sleep on Your Left:
- 2 Don’t be Stationary for Long:
- 3 Find a Comfortable Pair of Shoes:
- 4 Balanced Diet and Intake Lots of Water:
- 5 Take Rest in a Pool:
- 6 Avoid Smoking and Decrease Intake of Caffeine:
- 7 Do Some Exercises:
- 8 Indulge in Different Therapies:
- 9 Do Yoga for Some Time:
- 10 Take Some Grapefruit Essential Oil:
Sleep on Your Left:
When you try to make a habit to sleep on your left, it is found that there is low pressure imposed on the vein that conveys blood to the heart from the lower portion of the body. You can keep your legs raised by the help of any support or by a pillow. This will essentially assist in decreasing pain as well as control swelling to a great extent.
Don’t be Stationary for Long:
It is recommended to avoid standing or sitting for an extended time during pregnancy. If you need to stand for a longer time, it is best to take breaks in between and later sit for a while and take little rest. On the other hand, if you need to continue sitting for a longer period, get up and wander in between and also avoid sitting with crossed legs.
Find a Comfortable Pair of Shoes:
While you face issues of swelling of the leg during pregnancy, your foot size enlarges, and there are odds that your old shoes may not fit comfortably. Hence, try to wear shoes that come without heels which are comfortable and airy. Individual doctors recommend the use of athletic shoes and inserts as these are considered to control swelling, pain and significantly reduce back pain also.
Moreover, you need to avoid clothes that are tight around wrists or ankles. If you do this, it will enable the blood and other necessary fluids to flow inside the body freely. Also, wear assist for rinse or full legwear which is not close-fitting and even offers sufficient tummy area.
Balanced Diet and Intake Lots of Water:
Medical science assures that choosing a healthy diet and staying away from junk food can decrease swelling pains on legs during pregnancy. Follow, below listed balanced diet:
- Consume high portions of fruits and vegetables.
- Reduce extreme intake of salt, sugar and, fats.
- Attempt to avoid pre-packaged food and processed foods.
- Make the most of your intake of vitamin C and Vitamin E.
- As much as possible, try to have a balanced diet so that you put on a vigorous amount of weight while in pregnancy. Your diet must comprise a little amount (between 50g and 75g) of protein like poultry, lean meat, eggs, fish, or beans and pulses, with every meal.
- Develop a habit of eating at least five servings of fruit as well as vegetables daily. Have a combination of colors in your choice of vegetables and fruits.
- Target to decrease how much sugar, salt, and fat you need. Decrease highly processed, pre-packaged, foods, as they are typically high in all three constituents. Salt makes your body grasp on to the higher amount of fluid.
Medical specialists recommend that intake of 8-10 glasses of fluid should be done during pregnancy to control swelling of legs. Fluids benefit to flush sodium levels, toxins, and even additional waste products from your body. This is because drinking sufficient amount of water helps to stay hydrated and it will help your body to store less water.
Take Rest in a Pool:
Occasionally standing in a pool has a capability to compress the tissues inside the legs and after doing this, you can feel a reprieve from the swelling. It is best to keep your swollen ankles or legs cool by applying cold water in that area of the body to gain temporary comfort.
Avoid Smoking and Decrease Intake of Caffeine:
It is finest to stay away from smoking, drinking alcohol and caffeine in excess during pregnancy because these can increase swelling and pains.
Do Some Exercises:
Exercising has the power to enable blood circulation in the body, and you can continue your daily routine of walk or another exercise to control swelling of legs. However, it is recommended to take your doctor’s approval initially and then to practice stretching exercises after consulting with them.
Indulge in Different Therapies:
You can try below-mentioned therapies after consulting your doctor.
- Go for a gentle oil massage on your legs.
- Soak your swollen feet in lavender, cypress, or chamomile oil as it aids in soothing discomfort.
- Drink herbal teas after your doctor allows you to proceed with it.
Do Yoga for Some Time:
It is rightly said that exercise can help enhance your circulation, and yoga is an excellent way to get moving and focus on the circulatory system. In this case, also, you will need to discuss with your doctor prior starting up with yoga, especially if you are doing it for the first time. However, if you are completely new to yoga, it is highly recommended taking a class first. Any yoga coach can not only support you overcome any disinclination’s you have regarding yoga, but he or she will take care of your poses and suggest new postures assist you in the better way.
Take Some Grapefruit Essential Oil:
A hot bath can also help with swelling, and you can also seek more advantage by adding some drops of grapefruit essential oil inside that water. Moreover, you can even fill a bucket with warm water to soak your legs having swellings. If you are no comfortable with baths, you can even combine some drops of grapefruit oil with the carrier oil such as sweet almond or olive oil and can have a little leg massage. Whenever you rub your ankles, feet, and calves, just concentrate your pressure upward, in comparison to doing it in downward or in a circular motion.
It is useless to get overwhelmed by the typical symptoms of pregnancy like swellings in legs. It is essential to remember that this is temporary, and will vanish gradually after you implement above discussed methods.