Unquestionably, Pregnancy is the most beautiful and important moment for a woman. However, disorders like anal fissure can bring difficulties in this crucial part of life.
An anal fissure is a disorder in which a small crack in the skin develops on the anus lining. Usually, it pains, itches, and burns a lot. Often, they happen once a while, but in some cases, they can be a reoccurring problem as well. After and during bowel movements, one can also have red bleeding, itching, and burning. Over the time, it may develop deep and expose the muscle and tissue from beneath. After pregnancy, it may grow in women. It can cause strains during bowel movements, diarrhea, or even constipation. Besides, some other medical conditions like infection, inflammatory bowel disease or even cancer can also be the cause of this disease.
People of all ages can get affected by the anal fissure. Usually, it happens in infants and kids, but it can affect pregnant women as well. As a fact, around ten to fifteen percent women suffer from anal fissures after or during pregnancy. After two months of giving birth, they may experience it.
Table of Contents
- 1 Some Causes of Anal Fissures during Pregnancy
- 2 Natural Remedies to Get Some Relief in Anal Fissures
- 2.1 Being Attentive Towards Hygiene
- 2.2 Intaking a Highly Fibrous Diet and Drinking Plenty of Water
- 2.3 By using Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2.4 Using Flaxseed Drinks
- 2.5 By Applying Aloe Vera
- 2.6 By using Olive Oil Solution
- 2.7 By using Coconut Oil
- 2.8 By Taking Hot Sit Bath
- 2.9 By using Comfrey
- 2.10 By using L-arginine Gel
- 2.11 Skipping Iron Supplements
- 2.12 With Pineapple juice
- 2.13 By Applying Petroleum Jelly
- 2.14 By Eating Lentils
- 2.15 With Yoga and Light Physical Activities
- 3 Some Food Items to Avoid
- 4 Some Activities to Avoid
Some Causes of Anal Fissures during Pregnancy
There are various causes of anal fissures during pregnancy. In general, hard or large stools are responsible. Hence, an individual who is not able to rectal evacuation or has constipation suffers from it. Besides, frequent diarrhoea and chronic illness can also contribute in tearing down the skin on the anus lining.
When it comes to pregnant women, the long labor periods can add to it. Additionally, the other causes are anal incontinence and the delivery of an overweight baby. In reality, the C-section fails to shield against it. Pregnant women often have constipation problems. Therefore, they are vulnerable to developing anal fissures. In fact, it has become a common disorder in pregnancy. If there is a delay in the delivery time, then they become more vulnerable. Moreover, a forceps or vacuum delivery can also harm the anal area leading to anal fissures.
Natural Remedies to Get Some Relief in Anal Fissures
There are some uncomfortable sensations experienced by pregnant women suffering from it. It is a sharp pain that may be long-lasting or brief while passing stools. Well, this can be scary as a pregnant woman also has to bear the labor pain. However, there are some therapies that you can try at your home. They will aid in reducing or even healing the anal fissures.
Being Attentive Towards Hygiene
- The first thing you should do in anal fissures is maintaining the proper hygiene. Things can drastically get worse if you don’t manage it. You should try to keep the area around the anus dry and clean. It is because moisture can lead to bacterial infections. Here are some of the measures you should take to maintain the hygiene.
- You should wipe the anus area thoroughly after every bowel movement with a clean toilet paper. Additionally, you should not use rough and scented toilet papers. It may cause irritation and itching.
- For keeping the affected area dry, you can apply some baby powder. Make sure to use it gently to the affected zone.
- You should wear loose-fitting pants and avoid tight jeans. Besides, switch to cotton underwear. It will let the air to circulate that will boost the healing process.
While sitting on the chair, you should change your position after some time. It will avoid the build-up of harmful moisture around the affected area.
Intaking a Highly Fibrous Diet and Drinking Plenty of Water
- Fiber is a nutrient that helps in digestion. Besides, it also encourages bowel movements. If your stool is hard, then you should switch to a high-fiber diet. You don’t have to strain a lot during a bowel movement after taking such food. Hence, it will avoid the further damage to the skin around your anus. Moreover, this is also beneficial for your baby. You should consult a dietitian for that.
- Oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, pumpkin seeds, spinach, sunflower seeds and other food items are an excellent source of fiber. If you are a pasta lover, then you should go with brown pasta. You should switch to whole grain bread, rice, and breakfast cereals. Besides, you can take Isabgol which is known for containing a right amount of fibre.
- However, it is crucial that you drink plenty of water. It will avoid gastrointestinal problems and keep you hydrated. It will be helpful in removing toxins from your body. Everday, you should drink two liters of water. Also, you can consume fiber supplements that are in the form of capsules and tablets. Consult your doctor first before taking any supplement.
By using Apple Cider Vinegar
The symptoms of anal fissures would get worse due to strains in bowel movements and constipation. When it comes to an effective treatment for illness, the apple cider vinegar enters the picture. You can mix Pectin in this vinegar. Pectin is a water-soluble fiber effective in softening the stool. Besides, you can make a drink of this Vinegar with water and honey. You can drink it two times every day for best results.
How to make the drink?
- At first, take a glass of water, two tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar, and a tablespoon of honey.
- Now, mix them all in a glass.
- Finally, drink it two times every day to reduce the strains in the bowel movements.
Using Flaxseed Drinks
You might know the fact that constipation exasperates anal fissures symptoms. One can get some relief in illness by using Flaxseeds. It has nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids and fiber that are useful in constipation. The laxative feature of this nutrient eases the need of pressure during a bowel movement. You can make a Flaxseed drink and take it daily before going to bed. Additionally, you can also consume flaxseed capsules. However, you must consult the doctor before taking the flax seed capsules. He will also suggest you the correct dosage for you according to your body.
How to make Flaxseed drink?
- At first, take 250ml water and a tablespoon of flaxseed powder.
- Now, mix them correctly in a glass.
Finally, drink this solution before going to bed.
By Applying Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a fantastic herb that comes with natural healing powers. According to the research published in the European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences, Aloe Vera is an effective remedy for treating the chronic skin breakdown. Hence, this herb is useful in anal fissures. It will ease the pain and itching of anal fissures. Additionally, it will help in repairing the damaged skin. Moreover, it is entirely natural and doesn’t have any side effects. You can apply the extracts from an Aloe Vera leaf or the Aloe Vera gel available in the supermarket.
How to use it?
- At first, go near an Aloe Vera plant and cut off a leaf.
- Now, peel off the leaf and extract the gel.
- Afterward, use your finger to apply it on the affected area.
- For maximum relief, you should do this process for a couple of time every day.
By using Olive Oil Solution
This oil is a rich source of healthy fats, which helps in easing the bowel movement by lubricating the system. Now, this allows the stool to pass quickly. Moreover, it has anti-inflammatory features that decrease the pain in anal fissures. According to the research published in the Scientific World Journal in the year 2006, patients suffering from anal fissures experience reduction in the symptoms like pain, itching, and bleeding. One can consume a solution of olive oil, beeswax, and honey.
How to make the solution?
- At first, take two tablespoons of honey, olive oil, and beeswax.
- Now, mix them in a bowl.
- Afterward, put the bowl in a microwave. It will melt the beeswax completely.
- Finally, you can consume it for a couple of times daily to get some relief.
By using Coconut Oil
For anal fissures, it is another useful home remedy. This oil is an excellent source of medium-chain triglycerides. Now, it enters into the skin and benefits it. Afterwards, it lubricates and initiates the healing process. You can add it to your diet or apply on the affected area for a couple of times.
How to use it?
- Usually, one can apply the coconut oil three times daily. However, if it is chronic anal fissures, then one should use this oil many times every day.
- A way to add coconut oil to your diet is by cooking food in it. It will get you some relief from constipation or other digestive problems.
By Taking Hot Sit Bath
A hot sit bath can alleviate the symptoms of anal fissures and initiates the healing process. It enhances the blood circulation to the anal area. Now, this helps in aiding the healing of splits and tears of the skin. Moreover, it will get you some relief from bleeding, itching, and pain. It is just letting your body in warm water for a couple of minutes.
How to use it?
- At first, go the bathroom and fill the bathtub with tolerable warm water.
- Now, take a couple of drops of Lavender essential oil and mix it into the water.
- Finally, sit in the bathtub for around fifteen to twenty minutes.
- For best results, you should take this bath three times daily.
By using Comfrey
It is a famous herb that can be useful in anal fissures. It encourages the healing process and relieves the pain. The root of Comfrey as well as the leaves have medicinal features. It aids in regenerating the anus skin and encourages rapid cell development. You can boil it in the water and apply it on the affected area. Besides, you can use it to compress the area around the anus. By using it a couple of time a day, you will get some relief.
How to use it?
- At first, take a cup of water and two tablespoons of dried comfrey.
- Now, mix them all and put it on the low flame for five minutes.
- Afterward, leave it for cooling.
- Finally, strain and use it for cleaning the affected area.
- For best results, clean with this solution three times daily.
Additionally, you can warm compress the cut area with comfrey tea. If you find it difficult, then you can go with the comfrey ointment. You can apply the comfrey ointment for three times every day.
By using L-arginine Gel
This amino acid is also known as Arginine. It encourages the healing process of the affected skin. It increases the flow of nitric oxide to the affected area. According to the research published in the Diseases of the Colon and Rectum in the year 2005, applying L-arginine gel encourages the healing process of anal skin without any side effect. For best results, you should use the Arginine gel on the affected site for a couple of times.
Skipping Iron Supplements
Usually, doctors suggest consuming iron supplement during pregnancy. However, if it is causing constipation, then you should avoid it. At least, you should take it in a lower amount. You should consult the doctor. He may suggest you a different type of iron supplement that won’t contribute to constipation.
By taking Milk
It is a highly beneficial liquid that aids various processes in our body. Now, this includes the bowel system as well. It soothes the bowel movement leading to release of stool without pressure. Moreover, it is an excellent source of calcium that helps in developing healthy bones of your baby.
How to take it?
You should take a glass of milk right before going to bed daily. However, you should avoid taking it on an empty stomach.
With Pineapple juice
The Pineapple juice is one of the best remedies for anal fissures. It is rich in fiber that plays an essential role in digestion and bowel movement. Additionally, this tasty juice can eliminate the risk of stool hardening. You can substitute it with processed food items.
How to take it?
You should take a glass of fresh pineapple juice every day for at least three times. If you don’t like Pineapple juice, then go with grape juice or orange juice.
By Applying Petroleum Jelly
Sometimes, the anal fissure pain can make you scream your guts out. If the stool has hardened and you have to pass it, then petroleum jelly can be helpful. It will protect you from infections and act as a lubricant for the anus. Apart from supporting the bowel movements, petroleum jelly can also promote the healing process.
How to apply?
Before passing the stool, take the petroleum jelly. Now, apply it on the affected zone using your fingers.
By Eating Lentils
It is another good source of fiber. As you know, fiber can help in digestive process as well as bowel movements. Additionally, it has nourishing features. Now, this would initiate the recovery or healing process.
How to eat it?
For best results, you should eat sprouted lentils two times every day. You will see improvements after a couple of days.
With Yoga and Light Physical Activities
There are some yoga poses or asanas, which encourage the bowel moments. You can try it, but only under an expert supervision or yoga master. Besides, you should also take part in light physical activities like walking, gardening, and stretch exercises. It will enhance the anal blood circulation.
Some Food Items to Avoid
There are food items that can increase the risk of constipation. In fact, you may be consuming them without the prior knowledge. They can be healthy and nutritious, but you should strictly avoid them. Some of such food items are as follows:
- You should avoid refined and sugary foods. They will amplify the symptoms of anal fissure pain.
- You should avoid constipating dairy products, chocolates, and fried food items.
- Some fruits can harm you if you are suffering from anal fissure. One of such fruits is Banana. You should strictly avoid eating bananas in an anal fissure. Additionally, you should not take cheese, white rice, and red meat.
Some Activities to Avoid
There are some activities that you should not do if you are pregnant and suffering from an anal fissure. Some of such activities are as follows
- The first and foremost thing you should avoid is scratching your anus. No matter how much it pains or itches but you have to restrict yourself from scratching. It will only exacerbate the condition. Besides, the healing process will also get affected due to it.
- You should do activities such as weight-lifting. In fact, you should avoid bike rides as well. At least, you should not travel on a bike for long.
- Moreover, you should avoid sitting on a hard surface for long. Use a soft pillow for sitting.
So here we have some of the measures to get relief and recover from anal fissure soon. The anal fissure is not a severe problem, and it can be healed within a couple of weeks. However, during pregnancy, it may create a lot of inconveniences. Due to its associations with the bowel system, the best way to stay away from it is by caring and optimising the diet. Adding roughage and fiber are a way to ensure proper bowel movements.