Table of Contents
Is Vaginal Discharge Normal?
A woman’s body constantly undergoes change, especially during her reproductive age. Vaginal discharge is very common during some phases and is of a specific color. Those not knowing about the discharge will understand it as very abnormal. But you need to understand what this discharge actually indicates.
When the color of this discharge varies you will know there is something wrong and you are probably suffering from some infection. In general terms, this discharge is very common. Vaginal discharge is actually a way of your body to shed out the unwanted tissues. This discharge can be normal or abnormal and you can identify the degree of seriousness from the color of the discharge.
Knowing real causes behind the abnormal white discharge makes it easier to get the required medical treatment in due time. This is an easy way out to deal with the infections that you are suffering from. This guide talks about major junctures when you should worry about vaginal discharge.
How to Know If the Milky White Discharge is Normal or Not?
This is a generally known fact that white discharge is not always a problem. The color of the discharge indicates the degree of problem. If the color of the discharge is milky or white, it is absolutely normal. But if is a bit off-white, the discharge indicates that you are either approaching your ovulation phase and you are probably having a yeast infection.
As a part of premenstrual phase, a change in the discharge of color is quite normal. When a woman is in ovulation phase, the color of the discharge becomes whiter and thicker. One may even get lump which is quite common. If you are constantly observing the vaginal discharge, then you can understand what your body is trying to say.
Talking about the yeast infection, this is the most common form of problem faced by women. The cause of the infection is Candida albicans fungus which completely transforms the color of the discharge. In this infection, the color of the discharge becomes very thick, which also leads to vaginal discharge that comes along with burning.
When the Vaginal Discharge becomes a Problem – Symptoms
As we understood from the section above that vaginal discharge is very common. But what makes this secretion problematic? You need to understand the symptoms of abnormal vaginal discharge. This understanding is essential to ensure you are healthy and in the best of your health.
Check out the symptoms when vaginal discharge is a cause of worry:
- Gray or off-while discharge: In this case, a woman is probably suffering from a common infection which is termed as bacterial vaginosis. Women of reproductive age are suffering from this infection. This discharge is often smelly and becomes more prominent after sexual intercourse. In many women, this grayish discharge also indicated PMS before periods.
- When the color of the discharge is greenish or yellowish, you can look for the reasons as to what is causing it. This is basically the Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis also known as DIV. This is very common in the women who are approaching the postmenopausal phase. In such cases, one should immediately seek for deformities in vaginal walls and skin which become thinner with time. When this greenish yellow discharge accompanies a foul smell, the infection is termed as trichomoniasis. If the woman has it as a result of STD, then the symptoms will not be prominent. This also accompanies many other symptoms, including soreness and burning. The person also suffers from pain during urination. So seeking a medical helps becomes essential in this case.
One must also look for the other causes of abnormal vaginal discharge which are as follows:
- Yeast infection of vagina.
- Vaginal fistula.
- Vaginal cancer.
- Vaginal atrophy after menopause.
- Sexually transmitted diseases.
- Rectovaginal fistula.
- Placenta previa.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Chlamydia trachomatis.
- Cervical cancer.
- Using scented sprays and soaps as a part of hygiene.
- Bacterial vaginosis.
One needs to be watchful about the color of the discharge which indicates major problems and some internal health issue. This discharge very problematic as you can face the following problems. Generally, an abnormal vaginal discharge becomes a cause of concern when you have any infection of the following organs:
- Fallopian tubes.
As we have seen the reasons behind the color change of vaginal discharge, you should immediately seek a medical help. This is essential if you wish to avoid any problem propping up in your reproductive tract.
You need to see a doctor in following cases:
- Yellow discharge.
- Vaginal irritation.
- Redness in vagina.
- Itching in vagina.
- Greenish discharge.
The above conditions should not be avoided at all and one must seek for the medical help. Getting medical treatment helps not only in curing you, but also ensures that you are able to easily handle your health too. The above problem of spotting and bleeding happens even if you are not having your periods. So look out for some better ways to get your infection treated.
You can also use some medications on your own, which includes applying an antifungal cream. As a home remedy option, you can go for regular cleaning of the vagina. Changing your underwear several times a day also helps. One thing you need to ensure in case of vaginal discharge is that maintaining hygiene helps a lot. Vaginal discharge increases if a woman is sexually active, therefore using condom is essential. Even after the treatment has started, your partner must take precautions in order to avoid aggravating the vaginal infection.
You should always apply a cold compress with the help of washcloth. If possible, applying an ice pack also does wonders to your vaginal health. The above remedies and self-help can be continued for a month, but one if the symptoms persist for more than one week look for immediate medical help.